Friday, June 22, 2007

Recurring Nightmare

This is a disturbing nightmare that I've had once before. I wasn't going to post it because it involves a couple that I know and it's really quite unsettling. I have decided that because I had the dream again it was worth posting. I am omitting the names for obvious reasons.

I am riding through the mountains in the passenger side of an SUV. I am a detective for the FBI and my partner (played by my step dad) is driving. As we drive through a secluded wood over a dirt path, we come across a flooded creek. There is no bridge, but the water looks shallow enough to drive through. As we slowly creep through the water, it rapidly rises and begins filling the SUV. Soon we are floating down the river and through some violent rapids. Why we do not sink or get stuck on the rocks and trees is surprising to me. Finally, we wash ashore near a small town hidden in the trees.

It is the town we are looking for, a somewhat popular tourist attraction for lovebirds. There have been several murders in this town but the community is so close, no one is willing to condemn anyone else. The perpetrator we are tracking is raping and killing young women in their 20's. These women all have fiances and all were last seen with them. After doing some basic detective work we seem to be hot on the trail of our killer. Even figuring out who his next target may be. As the bed and breakfasts have been shut down due to the bad publicity, we deduct that the killer will be after a local couple (the second local woman in the string of murders) and we follow her at a safe distance.

After some commotion involving a fire at the local dive bar, we lose sight of our bait. The couple are gone and as we scramble to find them, we come across a small outdoor chapel area. The man is sitting on the altar, facing away from us, rubbing his head. The woman is nowhere in sight. The man is disoriented, bewildered and bawling. I walk the man back to his car as my partner searches for clues of the woman's whereabouts.
As we walk through a narrow passage, we see a figure ahead carrying a large load. The man takes off towards the figure and I follow, gun drawn. The figure drops his burden and takes off into the woods. We come up to the woman, she is naked and smeared with blood. Even more bewildered the man falls to the ground beside his love, trembling. I check her vitals as my partner comes from behind and passes in pursuit of the killer. She is gone. I call the local sherrif for backup and EMTs for the mourning fiance.

As we wait for help, the man springs up and back toward the chapel. I am unsure whether to follow him or stay with the body. I decide to follow at a distance, but just as I lose sight of him through the narrow passage, I hear a gunshot. He has taken his own life with a small revolver from the woman's purse. He had purchased it for her as protection when this fiasco began. It could not protect either of them.

I have not yet been able to see this killer detained. Towards the end of the dream I am always somewhat aware that I am dreaming. If I have the dream again, I hope to take some control and stop the couple from being killed. It is really disturbing to me because I actually know the people in the dream. Even some of the previously murdered women are my friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You really DO need to catch this guy you know.